The first post that caught my attention was The 9 Men Who Run China, which looks at the members of the Politburo Standing Committee and concludes:
- "All nine are engineers.
- Only one was educated outside of China (Luo Gan), and in East Germany of all places.
- There are no women on the PSC.
- All nine are Han Chinese.
- 6 out of 9 are Jiang proteges.
- 4 out of 9 went to Qinghua.
- Gigantic Coke-bottle glasses are standard issue on the PSC."
Another post that is certainly worthy of a read is Theory vs. Reality. Included in that post are some guidelines for understanding China:
- "If you don't speak/read Chinese, forget it.*
- If you don't understand that Chinese politics is an outgrowth of Chinese culture in many ways, forget it.
- If you don't understand how local government works in China, forget it.
- If you don't understand where China was 30 years ago, forget it.
- If you get hung up on the word "communism," forget it.
- If you can't accept contradiction, forget it."
*If not being able to speak Chinese is hampering your China analysis, try some Chinese lessons at ChinesePod. (Hat Tip: Simon World)