National Unification Council
- Jerome Keating's "Inane Flap Over an Outdated and Inept National Unification Council"
Some called it a bombshell but it was only the bursting of a bubble. Taiwan's President Chen Shui-bian has recently caused quite a stir among the biased and uninformed by proposing to abolish the country's ineffective National Unification Council (NUC). The continued flap over the NUC and its guidelines highlights that most people know nothing about this outdated and ineffective organization, how the guidelines themselves contradict reality, and how the council comes from an era when the Kuomintang (KMT) wished to substitute its personal agenda for that of the people of Taiwan.
- Michael Turton's "NUC Scrapped"
[Taiwan] got rid of a US$32 budget item, and managed to piss off the two most powerful nations in the world. What do have for it? Anything concrete? Maybe for an encore, Chen can personally call the heads of the Hong Kong triads and tell them their wives are ugly and their children are stupid too.
- David's (Jujuflop) "The NUC 'Ceases to Function'"
So does ‘cease to function’ mean that it’s been abolished? Or did it cease to function back in 2000? The answer to both these contradictary questions is probably ‘yes’. Perhaps Chen has decided that if the US is going to base their Taiwan-China policies on ’strategic ambiguity’, then there’s no reason why Taiwan can’t either.
- Angry Chinese Blogger's "Independence or Bust: Brinksmanship Across the Taiwan Strait"
Under The Four Noes and One Without, Chen pledged that, so long as China did not use military force against the island, he would not[...] Nullify either the National Reunification Council or the The Guidelines for National Reunification.
- Asiapundit links to assessments by Ranc and Taiwan's Other Side.
- Mad Minerva is disappointed in President Chen.
- China Confidential sees the situation as a failure of diplomacy.
- Outside of the blogosphere, BBC has reactions from around Taiwan.
- Jujuflop weighs in again.
- ESWN offers the feelings of Hong Kongers.
- John Tkacik indicates the Bush administration may approve of Chen's moves. (Hat Tip: Michael Turton)
- ACB has a poll where you can vote on when you think President Chen will declare independence. Sadly, "Taiwan is already independent" isn't an option.